It’s my BIRTHDAY! Woot woot! That’s right, I’m celebrating my own birthday…and I’m not sorry. I turn 33 today, and I have planned a massage, lunch with my two favorite people in the world (my mom and #1 sister….she’s my only sister but still my favorite), and some shopping for ME! I took the day off work, which I have never done before, and decided to just enjoy my special day. I’ve always loved birthdays, and I’ve put countless amounts of time and energy into celebrating those people around me. However, I have never felt comfortable doing the same for myself. But this year is different. I’m totally and completely thankful for another birthday, for another year of this life, and I’m going to celebrate my life and all of the time I’ve been given.
My birthday, and all of this free time this morning, got me to thinking about how much I’ve changed since my teens and 20’s. Inwardly, I’m the same bubbly, obnoxiously positive, and reserved person. But outwardly, my habits and lifestyle have changed. I’m thinking about all of the things that I’m just so OVER (and glad to be over) in my 30’s. Here are my top 5:
- Late nights – Am I the only one who loves crawling into bed at 9:00….errrr, 8:30…..errrr, 8:00…..errrr, okay, okay, as soon as I possibly can????? Late nights just aren’t gratifying when a five year old is staring at you at 6:00 a.m. waiting for her chocolate milk. And mornings…I seriously love mornings. All of the potential of a new day waiting for me. The calmness of a sleepy world. Why stay up late and miss out on the fabulousness of morning? In my 30’s I am so OVER late nights.
- Cheeseburgers – And french fries, and deep fried oreos, and chicken strips…shall I go on? In my 30’s, I eat healthy (aside from the cheesecake I indulged in last night). But seriously, I make healthier choices, not because I have to, but because I want to. I’m not trying to stay skinny. I’m not trying to follow a fad. I truly care about my health and quality of life. In my 30’s I’ve found that when I eat better I feel better, and I’m so thankful for that revelation and the desire to make better choices for myself. This is coming from the former “Queen of the Thickburger” (sorry Hardee’s), and I never thought the day would come, but I’m so OVER cheeseburgers.
- Needy People – I’ve had a lot of great people in my life over the years, and I’m thankful for each experience and how it’s shaped who I am and the life I’ve had. However, in my younger years, I was drawn to people that I wanted to help/fix. I had many wonderful friendships, but some relationships were draining. I learned a lot, but friendship for me, in my 30’s, has changed. Today I’m drawn to friends who challenge me to be a better, stronger, more mature and kinder me. I want friends who challenge me to think differently, to try new and exciting experiences, and who want a reciprocal relationship in which we both grow together, learning and vibing off one another. In my 30’s, I’m not interested in fixing anyone. I’m interested in laughing and learning with my friends, and I’m thankful I have some amazing people in my life fill that space in my heart/mind/soul.
- Trends – Trendy clothes, trendy diets, trendy social media, blah, blah, blah. In my 30’s trends make me tired. I’ve become a fan of the tried and true. I want my clothes to be classy, I want my food to be healthy, and I want my communication to be real life. I value my time and energy. In my 30’s I’m not interested in being cool or hip. I’m interested in being me. Doing the things I love, the way I love to do them. I’m so OVER trends.
- Birthday modesty – As you’ve seen above, I’m pumped it’s my birthday, and I’m okay with that. I’m so over birthday modesty. And this why…the fact that we were born….that we were created should be celebrated. We need to celebrate the fact that our existence isn’t random, we are not accidental, we are not the result of chaos. Instead, our creator took the care, thoughtfulness, humor and creative effort to design each strength and weakness that we possess. He did this all in an effort to prepare us for the path that He has made for us. How can we not celebrate our special day, the day we were born and began this amazing journey? I’m so OVER birthday modesty….I could not be more grateful for my birthday today.
I received a birthday card yesterday from my co-workers, and it truly touched my heart. It says:
Celebrating you. On birthdays, we honor our beginnings and remember that in God’s eyes, we have a place in this world no one else has. Your birthday is a reminder that God put you here for a purpose.
How amazing. My childhood was magical. My teens were adventurous and also tumultuous (as everyone’s are). My 20’s were too much fun and transformational. And my 30’s….well, so far, my 30’s are just right.
I hope you enjoy your birthday this year (feel free to celebrate yourself…you have my permission). Every day we are given is a blessing.
3 thoughts on “5 Things I’m just so OVER in my 30s”
Very well said Missy ❤️
Thanks so much, Mary!